Thursday, June 28, 2012

Larnaca, Ayia Napa, and such!

Hey everyone! Sorry it's taken me awhile to write this weeks post! I've been so busy! Last weekend we went to Larnaca to visit a famous mosque called Hala Sultan Tekke. It's the most important Muslim religious site in Cyprus and one of the most important MMuslim shrines in the world. It holds the tomb of the prophet Muhammad's wet nurse. It was really interesting because you had to take your shoes off before entering and the mosque is basically empty. It was really interesting. Then we went to the Church of St. Lazarus where his remains and skull is kept. It is a huge Greek Orthodox Church with beautiful gold plated icons and a huge gold iconostasis. You can go into the basement of the church where the tomb is too! It was breathtaking! We then headed over to Ayia Napa, which is basically the Las Vegas of Cyprus. We stayed at the Green Bungalow hotel which was near all the bars and restaurants and about a 10 minute walk to the beach. On Friday after visting the monuments, my roommates Amanda and I decided we wanted to go to Cape Greco to go cliff diving! After walking for over an hour, we were no where near close to getting there so thankfully a taxi driver came back and brought us the rest of the way! He said that normally people don't drive out the cape because its so secluded! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever done! I jumped off two cliffs then has  to swim into a cave to get out of the water! It was such an awesome experience! On Saturday, a group of my friends and I went on a boat called the Yellow Submarine that takes you out to the sea caves where you can snorkel and swim into the caves! The boat also had a really high diving board and two slides on it! It was soo much fun! The water here is crystal clear and you can see just about everything! The Captain of the boat also let me drive for a minute! The rest of the day we went to Nissi Beach, which is a very popular tourist beach with white sand and clear, clear water surrounded by a bunch of bars, restaurants, cafes, and water sports! Saturday night we went out and experienced all of the clubs that Ayia Napa had to offer, it was craziest place I have ever been to say the least! On sunday I went to Nissi Beach again and then headed back to Nicosia. This week I had class all week and a few presentations to work on! We have been busy, busy with school work but it is all so interesting that I don't mind. I actually am enjoying my greek language and art history class a lot more than I thought I would! I am going to Israel this weekend to check out Jerusalem and visit the Dead Sea! I have finals on Monday then leave for our week long trip on Tuesday!


Catch up with you soon! 


here's the link to check out my pictures from the past weekend:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150866445872035.399326.564557034&type=3&l=1d4e818436       

No comments:

Post a Comment